Friday, January 2, 2009

Technology and Arts Education

I have been thinking a great deal lately about technology and education.
How can an arts/orchestra teacher incorporate technology effectively into my curriculum? Can it be done with assessment? Can it be done with content and delivery? Of course the answer is yes to both of these. How are students today tuned into technology in ways that I can't even imagine as a 40-something guy - and how can I meet their expectations for their education? What can I do with Skype? What can I do with Wikis? What have I not thought of yet?
This is all on my mind right now. I am excited to be diving into several new books that will hopefully clarify some of my ideas. Look for these topics to be addressed in the near future here.

Some of the books include:
Disrupting Class: How Disruptive Innovation Will Change the Way the World Learns by Clayton Christensen, Curtis W. Johnson, and Michael B. Horn
Grown Up Digital: How the Net Generation is Changing Your World, by Don Tapscott
Digital Game-Based Learning, by Marc Prensky
Outliers: The Story of Success, by Malcolm Gladwell
The World Is Flat 3.0: A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century, by Thomas L. Friedman
Groundswell, by Charlene Li
Wikinomics: How Mass Collaboration Changes Everything by Don Tapscott and Anthony D. Williams

So much to read - so little time!!
There will be much to come on this issue. It is looming large for me.

To my students: Look for digital assessment coming up in January and February. Also, look for web-video content delivery and something called a Google-Blast during class.

Oh yes - this is going to be fun!!

Peace.
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment