Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Honesty

OK -
I am going to get on my soapbox for a minute. This post is primarily for my students.
Be honest. Don't skirt the truth. Sometimes it is difficult to own up to things. But,it always better to admit a mistake or an indiscretion than to lie your way around it. When you lie, you make little things big. When you get caught in a lie, you lose trust - for a long time.

I try to teach this to my children every day. Sure, once in a while you will disappoint those around you, but at least you still have your integrity and your word. That is way more valuable than saving face for a minute by lying.

I think that sometimes little white lies come out in the spur of the moment. They almost happen as a reflex. Fight that reflex. Because, the more you do it, the easier it gets.

Honesty is the foundation of integrity. Honesty is the foundation of ethical behavior. Honesty is the foundation of character.

There must be hundreds of opportunities to lie every day. We can exaggerate our efforts, fudge on numbers, misrepresent our feelings, and the list goes on. Here is one thing that I know: When you are honest with people, you can sleep at night.

Have I perfected this? Absolutely not. But I try. And, I challenge you to try. Be honest. the respect that you will earn, far outweighs the short term embarrassment or consequence that you may avoid.

I will now step off my soapbox.

Peace.
Scott

1 comment:

  1. Indeed! Well stated...although it was tough to learn that. The truth, while always right, is not always popular.

    ReplyDelete