Thursday, March 12, 2009

Coda Joule Carbon Fiber Bow

Today, I want to say a few words about the new Coda Joule Bow.

I have been playing carbon fiber bows for the past 10 years or so. Initially, I was using them primarily with electric violins and had also used them off and on with my acoustic violin. I have used them for a variety of styles including classical, rock, jazz, bluegrass, and others.

I just picked up the new Coda Joule about 3 months ago and I must say, it is really fantastic! This bow has all kinds of guts for the big stuff that I play and all of the subtlety and nuance that is required for my classical playing. I have used it extensively with my electric and acoustic instruments on a variety of performances and rehearsals and have been uniformly impressed with it. It gets a a huge tone and is totally consistent from frog to tip.

Prior to getting the Joule, I had been known to use a viola bow from time to time with my electrics and on fiddle improv gigs. I just really liked the power and tone that it provided. Now that I have the Joule, that is totally off the table. The Joule meets that need completely.

I think that students often sacrifice getting a better bow in order to afford a little more of a violin when stepping up in instruments. The Joule is priced under $700.00 and could fit into a violin step up outfit very nicely. Trust me, it plays a lot better than $700.00! And, it will never limit your bowing capabilities. So, if you get a chance, give a Coda Joule a try. You be amazed at the playing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment