Monday, January 12, 2009

Friends and Facebook

This has really been an incredible week. Last weekend, I created a Facebook profile for the first time. I had been putting this off for quite some time and finally decided to do it as a result of these last few books that I have been reading, particularly "Grown Up Digital." The result has been an absolute wildfire of connections with students from various times in the last 21 years. I have reconnected with students from my years in Palmyra, PA (1987-1992), Eleanor Roosevelt High School in Greenbelt, MD (1992-2001) and alums from NCSSM, my current institution.

Of course, it is nice to reconnect with old friends, but for me, it has been so much more. It has conjured up so many memories of great times with people that I really respect and love. The notes of appreciation that I have received this week have truly reminded me that there is a greater purpose in this life and career that I have chosen. Don't get me wrong - I know that and have known that my entire career. But, in this world of busyness and hustle, it is all still about personal connections and relationships. Yes, music and orchestra was the vehicle for all of these friendships, but ultimately it is the human connection that really matters in the long run.

I am so moved by the friendships that have been rekindled this week. While one may look at Facebook and other social networking sites as digital and cold, I have certainly found them to be warm and connective. I am moved and humbled by the friendships that have been reestablished this week and look forward to the future with so many of my old friends now part of my new life. These former students will see my kids grow up and I will see theirs, celebrate my personal and professional successes with m as I celebrate theirs, and support me in the ups and downs of life as I support them. Isn't that what life is all about - relationships and caring for each other. I am so glad that my social circle has found its way back to much of my past.

Peace.
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment