First, I gave three sessions at the VASTA Mid-Atlantic String Symposium last saturday. This regional professional development conference drew approximately 50 attendees from around Virginia and neighboring states. The workshop this year included sessions on violin setup and associated equipment, reading sessions, a viola boot camp, and several other sessions. I presented on systems thinking and orchestra pedagogy, developing expressive ensembles, and functional improvisation. I was so impressed with the breadth of teachers that attended this conference. There were folks that are very early in their career all the way through veteran teachers like myself.
After driving home from Richmond following a long but magnificent day of work, I jumped on a flight to Seattle on Sunday morning, rented a car, and made the 2-hour journey north to Bellingham WA. There, I was welcomed into the community of string educators from Washington and neighboring states at the Birch Bay String Teachers Workshop. This workshop has been held annually since 1959. It includes an exceptional community of friends and teachers with long-standing relationships. They clearly welcome new folks into the community with ease and regularity. This four day workshop includes an amazing amount of teacher orchestra reading sessions. I believe there were over 10 hours of music reading over the course of the four day workshop. In addition, there was a wonderful improvisation class held daily and a real commitment to instruction and advancement on secondary and tertiary instruments for all attendees. Other highlights included dinner every evening to debrief the days ideas, a beautiful picnic/ evening jam overlooking a sunset lit Birch Bay, and daily discussion groups on a variety of topics. I was honored to be the featured clinician for this 4-day workshop and presented topics on systems thinking and orchestra pedagogy, the habit loop and applications to rehearsal strategy, carbon fiber bows, electric string instruments/applications to the classroom, and the concept of computational thinking and orchestra pedagogy. I was honored to have CodaBow International, NSDesign, Daddario, and Conn Selner all support this workshop along with many of my travel expenses. It certainly takes a village!
There were common threads throughout both of these workshops that stood out to me: commitment to solid pedagogy, inclusion, wellness, respect, and healthy interaction. The one aspect I want to stress today is how beautiful the community of friendships and relationships is for both of these workshops. I have believed for years that great music making and ensemble performance starts with great relationships among the people involved. This focus on relationships and collegiality was so strongly evident at both of these events, opening the door for successful learning and interaction. I was immediately welcomed into both communities and made to feel like an integral part. But, more importantly all of the attendees welcomed to each other and allowed all to live and learn in a very authentic manner throughout the events. I was so impressed with the spirit of both of these workshops.
While I am really tired and ready to get some rest and recovery following a long couple of days, I come back filled up and excited about the future of our profession and my future as a string and teacher educator. The response to my ideas was so positive and I truly felt valued in the work I did to prepare for these conferences. I want to express my deepest thanks to the organizers of both of these events. This is been a great way to start my retirement and this new phase of my life.
Onward.
Peace.
Scott
No comments:
Post a Comment