Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Finding Joy at Work and in the World at Large

I have noticed in recent years that more and more folks are experiencing some sort of underlying unhappiness in and at their work. I felt it from colleagues quite a bit the last few years of my teaching career. Not me mind you. But some of those around me. I think I became more aware of this as I became a supervisor of other teachers a few years ago. 

Whether finding unhappiness in assigned tasks or in disapproval of words and actions of the people they are around, it is very easy to fall into a rhythm of dissatisfaction, grumpiness, and criticism of others. Folks are much more likely to take offense at words and phrases others use than they used to be; even when intentions are generally good or neutral at worst. 

I have been blessed over the course of my career to always have a certain kind of underlying joy at work. I feel very fortunate that I have, for the most part, appreciated the people that I work with and have enjoyed a great majority of interpersonal interactions. I am definitely a people person and very social. I generally always went to work with a spring in my step and a happy attitude. This has served me well over my career. I also am very fortunate that the tasks I've been assigned at work, whether primary or secondary tasks, have seemed generally reasonable and attainable. (I have seen so many posts on social media recently about beginning of school professional development days and how difficult they are for teachers. Obviously, I know this is the case in many places. They just never bothered me all that much.) But, I'm certainly aware that isn't the case for everybody. There are no shortage of complaints regarding menial tasks of professional development days and of mundane office and bureaucratic expectations. Folks are much more inclined to work to the letter of the law of a contract and either think or utter the phrase, " That's not my job." I have heard this phrase spoken directly to me and I have seen it in the actions of others.

I think there are a number of reasons for people's general unhappiness at times. It's very easy to look back at the period of time from 2020 through 2021, the Covid-19 era, and find some correlation between the pandemic and negative feelings about work and situuations. For some, that time of working from home and online was either really taxing and has been tough to get past or was so full of freedom that the routine of going to work changed drastically for them. I know that for me, I really missed the human interaction on a day-to-day basis during the lockdown. When we went back to work at the beginning of the 2021-2022 academic year, I was so filled with life being back together with students and colleagues again. For others in the business sector, having to put on their business casual attire and get back to the office was a heavier lift than I certainly experienced. 

There are some other patterns that I have noticed. The one that I've noticed the most strongly is a propensity for comparing one's self and situation to others'. In the field of education where I spent my entire career, I have often heard teachers of one discipline say how much harder their discipline is than another. Being a music teacher, I have often heard classroom teachers mentioned that music teachers don't grade papers nearly as much as an English teacher, for instance. On the other hand, English teachers don't have the pressure of concerts and public performance on a regular basis. Just yesterday, I heard some comments about the inequity between specials teachers and classroom teachers at the elementary level. It was a casual conversation, but the comment struck me as pertinent to this essay. We all get what we sign up for. I have often thought, if you want to be a music teacher, get a music degree and become a music teacher. If you want to be a math teacher, get a math degree. I guess the grass is always greener.

I have often felt that each discipline's task is unique and the process of comparing one's self to others in terms of the amount of work or type of work probably isn't healthy. We signed a contract to do a certain job. We should really commit to do that job to the best of our ability under the parameters to which we agreed and not worry so much about what others are asked to do or how much time it takes to do it. It's a much healthier way to live. I'm sure everyone has heard the famous quote which is commonly, albeit probably inaccurately, attributed to Theodore Roosevelt, "Comparison is the killer of joy." I believe in this quote to my core. Why worry about what the other guy is doing. Simply figure out your task and approach it with joy and vigor. The resulting satisfaction will override any feelings of inequity that might arise. 

I really think much of this is due to this notion that the world should be generally equitable. I guess I just have a problem with that as a core principle. Things are rarely equitable. We should all strive to do the best we can with what we have. They're many times in my life where I felt I really deserved to make much more money than I do. In the end, though, I would never trade my vocation for another one regardless of the renumeration. I have such an opportunity to do the things I love, with the people I love, as a string educator. I do my work as both of vocation and a mission. That really provides me a different perspective. Truly, when I make comparisons, I usually feel that I'm coming out on the winning end! But, isn't that really just a symptom of mindset.

I have also found that when people perceive some sort of slight, it is human nature to clap back with an equal and opposite remark or action. A number of years ago I decided to respond to perceived slights with some sort of opposite reaction; a kind word or a note of appreciation for something else they have done. It is amazing how life-giving that has been for me. This type of action grows from 1 Peter 3:9, "Do not return evil for evil, but instead return evil with a blessing." I have found that adhering to this policy has helped me to truly avoid any long-term unhappiness and perceived slights at work. 

Many of you know that I retired from full-time teaching in July. This is the first academic Year that I am not going back to school, dealing with professional development days, and anticipating the wave of busyness that goes with the start of school. For me, it is a time of reflection and new beginnings. I wish for every teacher starting the 2026 2027 school year a sense of happiness, joy, and mission in the task that you have ahead of you. I encourage you all to find joy in everyday. Find joy in the tasks, in the interactions, and in the mission that you have accepted. After all, those kids need you. And, they need you to approach them with that same spirit of joy, kindness, and grace-filled love.  Oh yeah, and don't return evil for evil. Instead, return evil with a blessing. It is a better way to live. 

You've got this! 

Peace. 
Scott




No comments:

Post a Comment