Saturday, August 16, 2008

New Beginnings

I spent the morning weloming new students to NCSSM on "Jr. Move-In Day." It was great to be the first person to greet the vanloads of Moms, Dads, students, brothers, sisters, and in some cases, more relatives as they pulled onto the NCSSM campus to begin their new life there. Some folks were visibly nervous, others emotional. Everyone was excited at the prospect of things to come in the new school-year. There were definitely tons of musicians filing into the dorms. Of course, that made me happy! It was also a new beginning for some of the faculty at NCSSM. My new colleague in the music department was there to help with the move-in as well. It was great to see him meeting that new 11th grade band students with whom he will be working. At the end of the morning, he told me he "sure was having fun!" What more could I ask for? It is going to be a great year.

While I was at NCSSM welcoming in the new students, my wife and kids were at my kindergartener's preschool, picking up pinecones and participating in the annual "clean-up day" before school starts. He can't wait to get started! I have a 2nd grader that can't wait to find out who his new homeroom teacher and soccer coach will be. This afternoon, my 11 year old son received his team and class assignments in the mail today as he prepares for his first year of middle school. We looked over his classes, called friends to compare team assignments, and made carpool arrangments.

I think this is one of the reasons that I love teaching so much. I love the new beginnings. The year is filled with possibilities. Anything can happen. And, today, as we anticipate the new school-year, all we can imagine are the great experiences that everyone will have. What music will we program this year? Who will be in his classes? How many wins will we have? What great new concepts will fill up our minds and hearts?

I sure had fun today. It was great to meet so many nice families. I will certainly do my best to help fulfill the promise of this new beginning for the students at my school and for the kids in my family. I hope we can all keep this day in mind throughout the school-year. It was a good one!

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment