Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Orchestra is My Favorite Class

This week, my son started middle school. He is 11 years old and in the 6th grade. He has been so excited to get started and finally, the big day came on Monday. I thought about him all day as imagined what kind of exciting things must be going on for him. Did he get lost in the hallways? Was he late to any classes? Did he like his teachers?

He called me as soon as he got home from school on Monday. It had been a great day! The first things I heard about were the larger portions of food in the cafeteria than the elementary school had. And choices! He had Salisbury steak and rice! Yum! Also, the locker was a big deal. He mastered the art of opening a combination lock on day 1.

But the kicker was this one. I asked what his favorite class was. He immediately responded, "Oh that's easy. Orchestra." Well, wasn't I proud. Of course it was orchestra. So, I decided to press on a bit. "Why?" I asked. "Because the teacher let me go to the restroom without a hall pass!"

Here we go. Middle School is upon us. I really used to feel like I understood the kid. But, if I have learned anything as a teacher in the last 20 plus years, I know this. The next couple of years will be an adventure. For him and for me. Bring it on. Let's have this adventure together!

No comments:

Post a Comment