Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Coda Joule Carbon Fiber Bow

Today, I want to say a few words about the Coda Joule Bow.

I have been playing carbon fiber bows for the past 20 years or so. Initially, I was using them primarily with electric violins and had also used them exclusively with my acoustic violin for the past 10 years.  I have used them for a variety of styles including classical, rock, jazz, bluegrass, and others.

The Coda Joule has been my choice with my electrics for several years now and I am as happy with it today as I was the first time I played it. This bow is really unique.  It has all kinds of guts for the big stuff that I play and speaks with authority in the exact way that I need.  I have been using it a ton lately with my 5 string NS Design CR violin and with  D'Addario Octave Helicore Strings on my CR 4 string violin. I have used it extensively with my electric and acoustic instruments on a variety of performances and recordings and have been uniformly impressed with it. It gets a a huge tone and is totally consistent and resonant from frog to tip.  I have been in the studio lately doing some work on new Believer material and I am super happy with the response that the Joule provides for the heavy, crunchy style that I am going for.  For a quick listen, check out Return to Zero, toward the end of the tune. This one isn't so crunchy, but was recorded with the Joule. There is more to come later in the year.

Prior to picking up the Joule, I had been known to use a viola bow from time to time with my electrics and on rock and improv gigs. I just really liked the power and tone that it provided. And, actually Jean Luc Ponty recommended that to me back in the mid 1990's, before I was really doing much heavy playing and chopping.   Now that I have the Joule, the viola bow is totally off the table. The Joule meets that need completely.

I also use the Joule occasionally with my acoustic.  I really don't use it for classical playing.  Instead, I pull it out when I am looking to provide a prominent rhythmic vibe.  I also really like it when I need to cut through an acoustic band. 

The Joule is priced under $700.00 and is a must have for those of us that are working outside of the western classical tradition. Trust me, it plays a lot better than $700.00!

Bold and brilliant, the JOULE boasts a powerful resonance on the bottom strings and strong projection across all ranges. Unattainable with traditional materials, the innovative design of the shaft adds more mass to critical performance areas while preserving a balanced weight and comfortable flexibility. This unique design allows the bow to grab the string and speak effortlessly whether playing deep whole tones or percussive chops. Particularly well-suited to extended-range and electric instruments, the JOULE is the strong favorite for all high-octane performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment