Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Hello to my new friends at ASTA


This post is specifically for the folks that are attending the pre-conference session at ASTA in Santa Clara on "Inspiring the net Generation String Student with Instructional Technologies." (But everyone can certainly read on!)

I am so glad that you are taking part in the session today and hope that you are finding some inspiration in the discussion.

Welcome to my blog. This is where I go all philosophical and write my thoughts on topics that might have made it into a classroom discussion, but just didn't have time to get it in there.

This is a place where I can give my students food for thought. I can reinforce ideas that were just touched on in class. I can start new discussions here. I can discuss ideas and things that are important to me that are somewhat peripheral to class. And, it is efficient. It doesn't take any class time.

Students can respond to my thoughts, either by posting a response or by e-mail. Alumni can still participate in the discussions that come up as part of class. Parents can get a feel for what I am thinking and responding to as part of class.

It is a new way to engage in dialog with students, parents, and colleagues. Blogs are about people and objectives. You have to know who you want to reach and what you want to accomplish. (Groundswell, Charlene Li and Josh Bernoff, pp. 115)

In my case, I want to reach students first, parents and colleagues second. In many cases, it is all three. My blog is a place where I articulate thoughts, respond to situations, and encourage thought and dialog. Mostly, my blog is where I am honest. I share a part of me. I tell secrets here. And, I hope that my readership will share right back with me. I try to be really thoughtful about every post. I try to listen to the things that are going on around me first. (If you've spent anytime on my blog, you know that many posts are inspired by listening to the books that I read.) then, after listening and considering, I share my reactions and thoughts to the things that are happening around me.

How do you feel about blogging?
Is it right for your teaching situation?
Are you willing/ready to be part of the blogosphere?
Who is your audience? (People)
What is your objective?

I look forward to the conversation!
Peace.
Scott

2 comments:

  1. Was a pleasure working with you today, Scott! I learned a ton and had a great time doing it. It's this what it's all about??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chuck! It was great working with you as well. This is definitely waht it is all about. Dialog. Not monolog. Thanks, man. Hey - I also enjoyed the steak dinner last night.

    To everyone here at ASTA in Santa Clara - I think that I can safely say that Chuck and I highly recomend Birks Steakhouse. It is a 5 minute cab ride from the Hyatt Regency and we both had a killer blackened ribeye steak last night. Birks is a must try while out here.

    ReplyDelete