Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Arlington Echo String Camp

This week, I am conducting at the Arlington Echo String Camp in Anne Arundel County, MD. It is a fantastic camp that is run by the Anne Arundel Co. Schools. The kids are string players that range in age from 6th grade through high school. There are so many cool things about this camp that I hardly know where to start.

Let's start here. One of the coolest features of the camp is that the string teachers from the AA schools are the primary teachers and counselors at the camp. They live with the kids all week. they stay in the cabins, eat with the kids, play with the kids, make music with the kids, and fully participate in the entire experience. What a wonderful mentoring opportunity it is for these students. I don't think I had any experienc e like that with my teachers as a kid. Here anther thing: they are all happy to be there. The teachers, that is. there is such a genuine enthusiasm for music, kids, and community that is demonstrated every day, by every teacher, counselor, and staff member.
You may ask yourself, "How does this happen?" The answer is simple. Community. The answer is also complex. Leadership, environment, attitude, love, caring, selflessness, support, commitment. Of course, I am forgetting many others.

I am out of time for now, but I am really enjoying myself and happy to be here. This is really a great camp and I am pleased to be part of it.

Rehearsals are going great and it will be a fantastic concert on Friday. It has been a great week.

Peace.
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment